There are some constraints in output PDF/A file formats and one of constraints is that colors paces specified in a device-independent manner. And just this character makes PDF/A device independence – Electronic information can be rendered without regard to software or hardware platforms for long time archiving. So when converting PDF to PDF/A, this important character can not be omitted. In the following part, I will show you how to convert PDF to PDF/A using CMYK ICC profile.
Step 1. Download PDF to PDF/A Converter
- This software is Window command line application, which can work both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms. Once downloading finishes, there will be a zip file in downloading folder. Please extract it to some folder then you can check the elements in it.
- And you also use this software together with ASP/PHP/C#/.NET/... etc. server side applications.
Step 2. Convert PDF to PDF/A Using CMYK ICC profile
- The CMYK color model (process color, four color) is a subtractive color model, used in color printing, and is also used to describe the printing process itself. CMYK refers to the four inks used in some color printing: cyan, magenta, yellow, and key (black).（quoted from wiki）
- For enhancing printing quality and screen showing effect, the color is set at different angles which depend on how many colors are used and the preference of the press operator, typical CMYK process printing uses any of the following screen angles. And VeryDOC converter strictly obey this rule when we deign this software.
- When you need to convert PDF to PDF/A using CMYK ICC profile, please refer to the following command line template.
pdf2pdfa.exe -cl 1 C:\in.pdf C:\out.pdf
This software allows you to convert PDF to PDF/A and choose color space. And there are three options for you: RGB , CMYK and GRCY. Value 2 stands for CMYK ICC profile.
-cl <int> : set color space, 0 is RGB, 1 is CMYK, 2 is grayscale
-cl 0 : use RGB ICC profile for device-specific color spaces
-cl 1 : use CMYK ICC profile for device-specific color spaces
-cl 2 : use GRAY ICC profile for device-specific color spaces
CMYK or process color printing is contrasted with spot color printing, in which specific colored inks are used to produce the colors appearing on paper. So this function will help you a lot when you need to save colorful PDF file to PDF/A. Now let us check the conversion effect from the following snapshot.